I listened to this podcast on my way to work this morning and thought of your daughter. It might be helpful for her to listen to it:
Deadline is a film/tv industry trade journal and they do a podcast with creatives. This podcast they had on Bobby Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez (they are a married couple that work together).
Here’s why I think this podcast is helpful:
1) When I lived in NYC, I worked for a CPA/Business Manager. Bobby and Kristen were (they still are for the company) one of my clients. I worked with them on a regular basis.
2) They are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met.
3) They are some of the most normal people I’ve ever met.
4) They’ve done some amazing things coming from normal backgrounds.
5) They recommend some great tools/tips on if someone wants to get started in the music world.
Here are two:
Have her start following these sites. Have her start becoming familiar with what they offer. It looks like they both do events:
A lot of organizations also host competitions of sorts. I’m always a bit wary of competitions only in sometimes its the luck of the judges. But it’s good to know what’s out there, know that sometimes you have to submit multiple times, etc.
Anyway, she may already know about this stuff. This is pretty much my knowledge when it comes to the music industry. But if it’s really something she is passionate about, I think there are lots of things she can look into to get started, to even see if it’s something she would want to do as a career.
My guess is if it’s anything like my industry, it’s still hard and takes up a lot of time. But, sometimes it’s also just knowing where to start…